Skip to main content


Partnerships are essential to enriching our students’ academic experiences and providing personal and professional support. 

How can I support Baltimore's students and schools?

You can volunteer at a school, donate to a school, sponsor a school, or provide a service to a school. 

Interested in finding out more? Email the engagement department.

Who will I be working with?

You can work with one or more schools, or even a single classroom or a certain grade. You can also provided services that support families, students, staff, or a special population, like students with special needs, students learning English, gifted students, or students who are homeless.

Are there any requirements?

Partners have to let schools know about the background checks of their volunteers.

Read more about background checks and volunteering.

City Schools also requires certain partners using school facilities to submit proof of liability insurance as a protection for the people within City Schools buildings. You'll need a Certificate of Liability if you plan on using 

  • School facilities before or after normal school hours and/or
  • Exclusive space within the facility during the school day

Read more about using school buildings.

I know what school I want to partner with. What should I say when I contact the school?

Before reaching out to a school, think about how you'll explain what you have to offer. Share your program's successes and how it can help the school.

Also, think about the time of the school year, the school's budget timeline, and the school leader's time. Don't be discouraged if it takes some time for the principal or assistant principal to return your call.

We also encourage you to talk with a City Schools engagement department before calling the school.

How can I formalize the partnership?

All partnerships must be formalized with a written agreement between the partner and City Schools' CEO. There are three types of agreements:

  • Memorandum of understanding
    • For non-financial transactions, such as running a tutoring program at a school.
  • Procurement contract
    • For financial transactions, such as organizations receiving money to implement a community school strategy.
  • Space and use agreements
    • For outside organizations renting or using school buildings or facilities, such as a church holding a worship service at a school on the weekend.

How can I evaluate and sustain the partnership?

Use the completed planning worksheet to guide conversations about ways to measure progress. If necessary, you can request a data-sharing agreement with the Office of Achievement and Accountability.

Think about ways to stay in touch with the school. Depending on the partnership, you may want to check in occasionally, or schedule a regular meeting. Also consider becoming part of the school-family council.