Skip to main content

Transfer Requests

Students can request transfers to different schools at any time if they are

  • In elementary school and move to a new neighborhood: 
    Speak with staff at your current school or visit the new school's office. You'll need to bring documentation (see below).
  • In elementary school, move to a new neighborhood, and the neighborhood school has middle grades: 
    Speak with staff at your current school or visit the new school's office. You'll need to bring documentation (see below).
  • Homeless

A transfer can be requested in other circumstances, but is not guaranteed. Bring the following to 200 E. North Avenue, Room 106 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:00 p.m.):

  1. Completed transfer application.
  2. Gather the required documentation (see below).
  3. The following if applicable:
  • Requests for transfers due to medical hardship. Statement on official letterhead from the student’s doctor or medical provider stating that the student’s current school does not meet the student’s medical needs.
  • Requests for transfers due to childcare hardship (for elementary school only, to request a transfer to a school closer to the parent/guardian's workplace or a caretaker's address): Statement from an employer on official letterhead stating why a school close to this location is needed; acceptance letter from a daycare providing before- or after-school care, on daycare letterhead; and/or an address verification form completed by the caretaker along with two proofs of the caretaker’s residency.
  • Requests for transfers due to safety: Completed safety transfer addendum.
  • Requests for transfers to an entrance criteria school: Student's report cards from the previous two years and standardized test results in reading and math.
Remember to bring the following documents with you when you come to register or transfer:

Proof of Student Identity & Age 
•    Birth certificate or other government-issued document (passport, military ID, birth registration, DHS/DOJ/DOS immigration and refugee resettlement forms)

Proof of Parent/Guardian Identity
•    Photo ID of the parent/legal guardian (driver’s license, passport, alien/permanent resident card, military ID, employment authorization card, ISAP card, DHS/DOJ/DOS immigration and refugee resettlement forms) 

Proof of Address (only two (2) of the following examples are required)
•    Complete, recent utility bill (gas, electric, water, telephone, or cable)*
•    Deed or title to residential property
•    Fully-executed, property sales agreement
•    Military housing order
•    Mortgage settlement sheet
•    Original, signed (by landlord and tenant) lease agreement reflecting the name(s) of the parent(s)/guardian(s) as tenants
•    Property tax bill or statement
•    Recent bank or mortgage statement* 
•    Recent employer pay stub*
•    Recent homeowner, renter, or medical insurance statement*
•    Recent letter from Social Security Administration, Social Services, Maryland Vehicle Administration, Internal Revenue Services, or Maryland Judicial System*

*Recent = within the last sixty (60) days

Other Requested Documentation
•    Academic records (recent report card and/or transcript)
•    Individualized education program (IEP) or 504 documents (if applicable)
•    Proof of custody/guardianship (if applicable)
•    Health records (immunization history, lead test certificate, and physical/vision exam results) – new enrollees only

If you're registering for pre-k, you may also need to provide proof of monthly income dated within 30 days.  


What if I want to transfer to a middle or high school with entrance criteria?

If you're currently in the 5th or 8th grade, you can apply for the school through the choice process for middle or high school.

If you're currently enrolled in a different middle or high school, follow the steps listed above. 

Keep in mind that you'll need to meet the entrance criteria requirements and there must be space available at the school for the transfer to be granted. 

What if I've already been admitted to the school I want to transfer to?

Bring a copy of the official acceptance letter to 200 E. North Ave, room 106, to finalize the transfer.

How will I know if my transfer request has been granted?

You'll receive a placement letter in the mail.

Your previous school will also give you a Maryland State Withdrawal Packet. Take both documents to your new school to finalize the transfer.

If my transfer request has been approved, do I start at my new school immediately?

It depends on the situation and time of school year. In some cases, the transfer may not take place until the start of a new semester or school year.

What if I want to transfer to a charter school?

Charter schools have a different admissions process. Contact the school you're interested in to find out more.